How AI Cut My Video Production Time by 87%

 


I recently published two new strategic frameworks: BOLD (Business-Oriented Learning Design) and The Adoption Gap. I needed high-quality video explainers for both. By integrating AI into my instructional design workflow, I achieved a staggering 87% reduction in video production time using Google Vids.


The Efficiency Leap

Traditionally, creating a scripted, high-quality three minute video with manual editing takes me roughly four hours. With Google Vids, I produced a finished product in just 30 minutes. The tool generated the script, AI voiceover, and 75% of the animations automatically, allowing me to focus my time on final refinements.


My Workflow

  1. Drafting: I storyboarded in Google Slides, using ChatGPT to refine the clarity and tone of my notes.
  2. Refining: I used NotebookLM to synthesize my research and Gemini’s "Enhance This Slide" feature to polish the visual design.
  3. Producing: I used Google Vids to transform the slides into a complete video with precise timing and professional voiceovers.

The Result

The final videos effectively communicate two complex ideas:

  • BOLD: Aligns learning development with your business.
  • The Adoption Gap: Replaces high-effort courses with just-in-time resources for users between onboarding and mastery.

While human oversight remains essential, the gain in efficiency provided by these tools is undeniable. These benefits extend well beyond the initial build; whereas traditional videos with manual voiceover can be slow and difficult to revise, this workflow allows you to complete future updates and maintenance in just a few minutes.


One Final Note

If you are already using Synthesia, HeyGen, or Colossyan you’ll get similar functionality plus AI avatars, which Google Vids does not have. One of the nice features of Google Vids is that you can edit your Google Slides directly in Google Vids.

Comments